Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2003

Re: [sharechat] Telecom Outlook 2003

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 14:01:17 +0000

Hi Morgy,

>Having resisted the early migration to 027 on the advice of a
>Telecom dealer (he said the handsets at that time werent good enough
>at that time, 18 months ago) last week my handset give up the ghost
>and I invested in a shiny new ericsson all the bells and whistles
>unit. It is easy  to understand the developing potential of this 2
>ounce minefield of information once you start to use it,
>particularly as it conicides with a new busness venture that allows
>me to keep in touch with my email while on the road. I am truly
>impressed.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but, like you Morgy, I find the
idea of keeping up with e-mail 'on the road' attractive.  But I'm
curious as to how far it goes.  I presume for instance that if I send
you an 'MS Word' file as an attachment you can't read it?  I believe
I might be able to send you a still picture, but can you view it?

And can you download your e-mail from any ISP, or does it have to be
Telecom's 'Xtra'?

>Within a few days I checked out what I believe is the other half of
>the package, a PDA unit

Perhaps a personal PDA unit might allow you to do more on the mobile
network?

>Co-incidently at the same time I was upgrading, I received a letter
>form Teressa

I just love that spelling 'Teressa'.   Sort of a cross between
'Theresa' and 'terror'.   Is she going for the 'bully boy' image in
her last year as CEO ?

>saying that with the migration to 027 you snails still
>on 025 (phew, not me) will have to pay a access fee of $5 per month
>because of the support required for the old technology, but good news
>you could upgrade if you were still on a 025 contract term with no
>penalties. NO hedging in this message, get on or move out

That really is outrageous don't you think?  It looks like 025 is
dead already!

I note that switching over is free, but I presume you will be charged
a heavy whack for a new handset.  And  I pity all those people who
have to reprint their business cards because of the forced change.

>Additionally, I read an article in the newspaper by Theresa prior
>to xmas absolutely slagging vodaphone and their technology and
>out how dated it was now being proven and the inroads being
>made by Telecoms technology particularly in the asian economies.

Yet, if you look at the SMH article referenced by Winner, it would
seem the only *real* advantage of 3G that can't be matched by the
technical tweaks of other 2G to 2.5G technology is video streaming.

And the only true operator of 3G mobile technology in Asia, in Japan,
is struggling.  Until we get the school kids taking videos of
themselves and sending them to each other on the way to school, 3G
might be in trouble.  Then again, I never thought text messaging
would take off and it has.

>2G, 5G, 10G, whatever it is Telecom will be there, they cant afford
>to become isolated as Air New Zealand did.

Perhaps an ominous comparison, as Air New Zealand's attempt to be
part of a larger airline grouping and 'avoiding isolation' through
acquiring Ansett nearly lead to their demise.

I see that AAPT currently have a packaging agreement offering Aussie
consumers bundled telecommunications technology using Vodaphone.
What happens to that arrangement once Hutchison 3G comes on line?
Anyone?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"