Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2002

Re: [sharechat] Stock Guru Comp & SLL

From: "Phil Eriksen" <phil@acepay.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:48:29 +1300

Hi Snoopy,

Nice ramble!  My goal was to achieve a return of approx 20%, as per last
year, which is at the upper end of what one could hope for by picking 5
shares that you could actually hold in "real life", not being able to go
overweight in a preferred share, and holding them for a year.  So far, I'm
above 20% and going alright.

I'll save the ramble for another day, but the question for everyone is this
: at this stage, what would be people's picks for next year?  Scanning
through the NZSE, I see the opposite of 2-3 years ago - quite a few
confident people, a feeling that NZ is "immune" to what those same people
feel will continue to unfold overseas, and very few shares that seem
genuinely attractive.

If I had to pick 5 shares today, to hold for all of next year, I'd be
battling.  If I was forced, I'd ask Ben to program a "buy the next 5 new
issues" option into the Stock Guru contest :)  I have a hunch that we might
be in for a mini-bubble in the next two years in new "exciting" companies
that are floated.  Weldon won't get the 50 he wants, but he will get 10 or
15.

What do others think?  Positive or negative about next year?

Cheers,
Phil