Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2002

Re: [sharechat] STUDY STOCK - LHG

From: Holden Glova <dsafari@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:08:08 +1200

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:47, Harold J Skinner wrote:
> >Do people aside from Harold really think that spending money on any of the
>
> 3
>
> >above is valuable? I look over what they have to offer and am not sure if
> >this would be of real value to me.
> >
> >Any suggestions are appreciated and welcomed.
>
> Most of what is written by these analysts is available *free* in easy to
> read formats by "signing up" at most Australian Major banks like
> https://www.quicktrade.com.au/index.html
> http://www.comsec.com.au
>
> plus a number of others
>
> There are other sites also  that notify you of ASX alerts (free) but a bit
> buggy
> http://www.flq.com.au/home.cfm
>
> a good idea is to use the asx site and create a watch list there
>
> Learn how to read charts T/A is not hard basically its
> "Take the distance from the last high to the last reaction low and add to
> the last high.
> i.e. however much is the last retracement is the amount it will travel in
> the next wave of the trend."
>
> Then form your own "style" and graphist tactics
>
> If the fundamentals are true (not deceit) the should *both* indicate a buy.
>
> The T/A of shares only works because insider trading is rampant. Truthful
> fundamentals override T/A (if you are sure the facts you are given are
> accurate)

Thanks for the links and the advice. I have ordered a book "Technical Analysis
Explained" which was recommended by Phaedrus, hopefully this will arrive
soon. As for the fundamentals, well I know what fundamental analysis is, but
I think I am still unsure how to progress. Basically I can look at all the
company information I want, look over the financial statements which I barely
understand, and scan through the news but I still have a hard time grasping
how to do this properly. Especially when trying to identify value stocks
because by definition a value stock is one that is performing badly or is out
of favour with the market. I find it pretty impossible to see why it would be
a good value investment when the data I am looking at all looks grim.

> ********************
> I see LHG tied very much linked to gold price. medium risky being in New
> Guinea as well as a 70% hedge. You need to find out what it costs for them
> to produce one once of gold and what they are selling it for  (I do not see
> much upside unless gold goes up, which it looks like it might)

What is a hedge all about? Is this some sort of debt? Does the fact that it is
an open pit mine score a "+" for the fundamentals of this stock?

> For me HIG are a better bet @ 36 cents or better for a New Guinea gold
> stock!
> Again do not get carried away
> (The power was cut by some tribe there a short while ago so the politics in
> this area are not stable)
> http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/CompanyInfoSearchResults.jsp?searchBy=as
> Code&allinfo=on&asxCode=HIG&companyName=&principalActivity=&industryGroup=X
>X XX

Is this not true for the rest of New Guinea? Since it is such a small place I
would imagine any political unrest to be distributed across the entire area.
Do these sorts of things really influence the companies share price?

- --
Signed,
Holden Glova