Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: Re: [sharechat] WHere have all the fullas gone....

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:06:19 +1000

Guys,

Messages come through instantly to ShareChat as they are posted - there is
no time lag.  Of course, if there is a small frequency of messages posted,
it will seem like there is a delay between messages - but this is because of
the amount of messages, not the system.

I think that different people want different things out of a Forum.  For
example, traders want to discuss every company announcement and share price
movement; long term investors general investing techniques and fundamental
company analysis; technical analysis investors charts etc etc.  What this
means is that when using just one Forum there are going to be differences in
opinion of what constitutes an "active" Forum - it's a matter of
perspective.

If you compare the ShareChat Forum to two years ago the difference is
immense - there were far more messages at that time focused on intra-day
movements and short term trading techniques, as opposed to now where it
seems the trend is towards investing techniques/general analysis/technical
analysis (and thus fewer messages).  This isn't necessarily a bad thing,
it's just where the Forum has gone.  Two years ago, the intense frequency of
messages drove people away that had a longer term perspective, now, traders
that wish to discuss immediate company happenings use Sharetrader as a
medium and there are more people using ShareChat as a way to pick up general
investing information (our news and education sections are especially well
utilised).

I guess no one person is going to agree on what makes an "excellent" Forum
because we all have difference perspective's.  We're almost at our third
birthday here at ShareChat and I've certainly seen many chops and changes in
the direction the Forum has taken.  There will certainly be many more as
time progresses with quiet periods and busier periods - that's the nature of
the beast.

One thing we could look at is the layout of the Forum.  I know some people
love it, and other people hate it (as is with everything in life it
seems...).  If you wish to email me with suggestions on how we could improve
the Forum layout then please feel free to do so at:

bendutton@sharechat.co.nz

I'd like to hear everyone's comments.

Best Regards

Ben Dutton