Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

Re: [sharechat] News Flash - Remaining U.S. CEOs Make A Break For It

From: "DR" <kat47@bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 17:10:53 +1200

Apologies. This started out 26th June
To be more serious here is Bill Bonner
"

UNEXPLANATORY
by Bill Bonner

Pity the poor central bankers.

They are so busy - plotting the destruction of their own paper currencies...and worrying, says the news report from Montreal, about the "structural problems in Europe and Japan." They will not have time to wonder about the strange character of the U.S. recovery.

Why are there so few jobs? People are collecting unemployment benefits at the highest level in 19 years. Why are there no profits? As a percentage of GDP, profits have been cut in half since 1998...and show little sign of improving. It's all so 'unexplanatory', as Eric says above.

Since we doubt that central bankers will take the time to wonder about these things.... in today's letter, we will wonder for them.

Why such a peculiar recovery?
We know the central bankers a re busy, so we will not dilly dally. Here's the answer: this recovery is not like other recoveries because it is not a recovery at all. It is more like what ballroom dancers call a 'hesitation.' The beat goes on...and after a moment, the dancers will pick up their feet.
If we're right, the latest downturn is not like any in America since the Great Depression. Expecting it to resemble a typical post-war recession is like expecting yoghurt to taste like latex paint. They may look a little alike, but they serve very different purposes.
Instead, as we've been saying for a long time, America's economic malaise is more like Japan's long, slow, soft depression that began in 1989. Only time will tell. In the meantime...we wonder...
The course of the U.S. economy is set, we believe, not by current policy failures in Washington nor by whatever silly feeling consumers pick up from the evening news.
It is determined by the past.
"In terms of quantity of money and credit creation," writes Dr. Kurt Richebacher, "the Fed's easing has been a sweeping success. But in terms of its effects on GDP, national income and the financial markets, it is an outright disaster. These are, of course, the only effects that matter."
Fish gotta swim; birds gotta fly. Debts gotta be paid.
And the sun, that shined for a long day's boom in America, has gotta set sometime.
There are more and more signs that while the consumer's will to spend is as robust as ever, his ability grows weaker by the day. Debt levels are at record levels - as we've noted many times. So is the amount of a consumer's income that must be used to service it. A little note in the news a few days ago pointed out that real incomes - after inflation and taxes - fell in April. This should
have set off alarms from one end of the empire to the other....but not a peep was heard.
But the retail stocks seem to have noticed. The retailers were the strongest group - buoyed by
consistently good sales figures and bubbly poll results.
Now they seem to have turned a corner...and headed down.
What's more, a closer inspection of sales numbers from the first quarter reveal not the strength that was widely reported in the media...but weakness. "Current year-over-year rate of change in final sales," notes the ContraryInvestor.com, "rests at a four decade low...As you know, it is strength in final sales that will ultimately light the way to this recovery being something more than largely inventory driven."
Rising property values and even greater borrowing have kept consumers steadfastly on their roads to ruin. But the road is getting bumpier and bumpier. "Housing Takes More Money," reports Money magazine. Consumers are spending more and more of their money on housing costs. They've mortgaged up their houses as never before. Owning less of their own homes, they have to pay the mortgage companies for the parts to which they no longer have clear title. According to the Money article, 19 million Americans now pay more than 35% of their incomes
to keep a roof over their heads - up from just 16 million in a similar circumstance 10 years ago.
Another item from yesterday's papers tells us that consumers are having a hard time keeping up. "More Owners Are Behind on Mortgages," says a headline. And bankruptcies, as widely reported, are becoming more and more common - especially among older people.
In addition to other puzzling signs, there is the stock market. Stocks are said to 'look ahead' to changes in the economy. But if the economy is on the mend, the stock market doesn't seem to see it. Not that investors don't look for it. Time after time, they squinted into the setting sun and thought they saw dawn. Nearly everyday, in fact, the Republican hallucinatories - George Gilder, Lawrence Kudlow and Arthur Laffer - announced a new morning for America, thanks to the Bush administration and silicon chip.
"Nine times in the last 26 months they have followed the new era bull market mantra and bought on the dips," writes old friend Ray DeVoe (whom we've never met...but feel we know). Each of those times, they were wrong. Stocks are still down for this year...down for last year...and down for the year before.
"Surely, it must be time for a rally," say the patsies. But the insiders keep selling 4 stocks for every one they buy. And stocks keep going down. What does the stock market see ahead?

EVEN MORE UNEXPLANATORY
"Excessive debt accumulation was, of course...a prime ingredient in the financial condition that was to overtake a large sector of the economic system: illiquidity. It was, indeed, an illiquid, over-expanded colossus of debts, rather than an excessive money supply, on which the price structure of the late 1920s rested."

- Melchior Palyi, in The Twilight of Gold
"In death, all debts are paid."
- Shakespeare
The world's most powerful group of price fixers is meeting this week in Montreal. None were elected. But the public seems to prefer to leave the world economy in the hands of un-elected bureaucrats, rather than elected ones; its admiration for democracy goes only so far.

Central bankers have a lot to talk about, we are sure - comparing perks and publicists, for example. Still, between cocktails and dinner, the managers of the world's managed moneys might let the conversation wander...over to the curious U.S. recession and even curiouser recovery.
"This downturn pattern has no precedent in the whole post-war period," writes Dr. Kurt Richebacher. "Investment spending is unusually weak and consumer spending unusually strong. Yet this pattern has at least one ominous parallel, but before World War II: the U.S. economy of 1926-29."
Neither angelic economists, nor the archangels at the world's central banks have an explanation. In today's letter, we rush in. "Debts gotta be paid," we remember writing "Or otherwise settled..." we add today.
"Last year," explains Dr. Richebacher, U.S. national income grew by $178.6 billion. Debts, on the other hand, increased more than $2 trillion. Debts of the nonfinancial sector were up $1.1 trillion, and debts of the financial sector by $916 billion. All in all, debts rose more than 10 times faster than income. Broad money, by the way, increased $882.7 billion. Consider that barely 9% of the total credit creation in 2001 turned into GDP and income growth.
"In the fourth quarter of last year," (Richebacher never lets up...), "the consumer increased this outstanding debt by $610 billion, but his spending on goods and services increased by only $120.6 billion. Businesses borrowed $377.65 billion while cutting their outlays on fixed investment and inventories by $163.3 billion."
Telecom debt alone now equals nearly as much as the combined total of the S&L crisis of the '80s and the junk bond crisis '90s - about 5% of GDP. Taxpayers ended up paying an amount equal to 3% of GDP to bail out the S&Ls.
We left off yesterday wondering why stocks are not going up. If the nation really were looking ahead to a recovery, shouldn't stocks be able to see it coming?
Instead, stocks seem to see trouble.
"I view the U.S. economy as being in the early stages of a post-bubble shakeout," writes Stephen Roach. "Most others see the context quite differently - as a fairly standard business cycle, dominated by a powerful, yet self-correcting, inventory dynamic. Only time will tell who's got this one right."
While we will wait for time to tell the tale, along with everyone else, we still can't help but wonder: What will become of all this debt?
There are only three possibilities. Sooner or later, debts are either paid off, written off, or inflated
away. Taking up the third possibility, we note that the Founding Fathers defined a dollar as 371.25 grains of fine silver. Determining the value of gold coins, the Coinage Act of 1792 decided that an ounce of gold was equal to 15 ounces of silver.
Later generations found the legal connection between precious metals and paper money inconvenient. The issue was debated off and on for years - whenever some backwoods yahoo decided to make an issue of it. For example, Nebraska congressman Howard Buffett took it up
in 1948. "So far as I can discover," said the father of the world's second richest man, "paper money systems have always wound up with collapse and economic chaos.
If human liberty is to survive in America, we must win the battle to restore honest money."
More than half a century later, we look back nostalgically at 1948's dollar...and its liberty.
Neither has survived. Back of the envelope calculations tell us that today's dollar is worth only 5% to 20% of what it was worth when the Coinage Act was passed.
Almost no one misses liberty. And few would mind if the dollar kept waving a long goodbye. In fact, most economists, consumers and politicians count on it. They are betting that a gentle decline in the dollar...along with yet more money and credit from the Fed....produces yet another inflationary boom in the American economy.
But, "for the first time in history," concludes Dr. Richebacher, "the economy and stock market have slumped against the backdrop of rampant money and credit creation.
"These unprecedented experiences raise some highly critical questions; Why has the deluge of money andcredit failed to boost the economy and financial markets in any significant way? And what, exactly, is behind the US economy's miserable profit performance? These are the
two most important questions to scrutinize."
Central bankers rule the globe, we are told. "One begins to see the global economy as a vast network of interconnected strings," explains William Pesek, "all being controlled from above by Greenspan, Macfarlane (central banker of Australia) and a handful of other monetary policy makers."
Yet, following the biggest pull on credit lines in history...the world's economy has barely budged. Central bankers, perhaps after dinner, might want to check their twine.

Your reporter...

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: [sharechat] A little help. Christian Mair