Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

[sharechat] Same dogs, New Mugs

From: "Morgy" <morgy40@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:15:41 +1200

Snoopy
Couldn't agree with you more, this share went through the accumulation stage
as a growth stock starting  back in 1999 and is a classic case of  assessing
the "current stage" of the economic cycle, picking the potential growth
stock within the sector (normally a stock that is established but on a
current low), accumulating over a period & then eventually distributing to
the public (classic Brierley now GPG, I see the old Brierley dog skellerup
is dressed up for the party again, classic distribution to the mugs) once a
blind man could pick the trend.
I think Nick (which ever one) said something about seeing new machnery down
on the farm earlier this year or late last year. By the time a farmer has
got around to new machinery he has normally paid back all the borrowings
from the drought, flood, famine etc, fixed the fences bought back the stock
he had to sell, thrown some fert down, stashed some away for next famine,
drought, pestilience etc (because they know it will come, chime in any time
farmers, there's  a few on this board) & then got round to upgrading the
tractor,  I would suggest the cycle is pretty well 3/4 the way through.
Economic cycles are as normal as seasonal cycles  to the modern farmer and
history of course repeats itself,  so most will be battened down as interest
rates & the dollar rises, some will be smiling wondering why it lasted so
long.
In fact having never been in danger of stepping in cow "do do" (starbucks
dont allow cows on the premises),
I occasionally read the farming & commodities section in the Dominion &
Terry Hall (god writing in his bible)  said as much 9 months ago.
I thought your price range was pretty good but I think it could go to the
lower end (.80 or lower) at the low point of the next economic cycle
depending on how WRI handles itself this time through.

On a different tack, great to see so many posts, it was only recently that a
few were suggesting this board was dead, Long live the dead. Nice to see
Phaedrus no longer fighting a rear guard action, it was a bit like the
pantene advert, it wont happen overnight but it will happen.

Regards

Morgy