RE: [sharechat] Telstra NZ v. AUS

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 12:36:12 +0000

Hi Russ,

>Next question...anyone have opinions on where they're going?  We're
>down in the 2 year low territory now..any chartists see a bottom in
>sight?

The only prediction I will make with certainty is that, currency
movements aside, Telstra NZ and Telstra AUS will be moving in exactly
the same direction ;-)

I would caution you on worrying about where the bottom is in the
Telstra share price drop.   Of more interest to me is where the top
will be in several years time.  Telecommunications has had a bit of
a boom and bust history and I think where TLS will go 'share price
wise' will depend on the amount people are prepared to pay for the
new value added services: broadband and new developments in mobile
phones. This is, of necessity, speculative and if you look on the
focus investment group I have been indulging in just such
speculation.  Please read my scenario on the TLS debt thread and
see if you agree or disagree with it. I'd rather not proceeed to the
next step based on one person's speculation only!

The next step, as I see it, is to forecast the capital expenditure
requirements of TLS and how these match up with future revenue
streams.  I see this as critical because I see TLS as a classic big
risk big reward trade off.  If TLS backs the right technology they
will effectively control the telecommunications highways all over
Australia.  They won't have a monopoly but with a market share of
some 85% they will be in an almost unassailable position *if* they
get things right!  If they pick the wrong technology the door will
be open for AAPT and Optus.  TLS profits could be crushed, and
the TLS share price will head further south.

Now, what can the Telstra share price history tell us about what is
likely to happen?   It will reflect past sentiment towards
telecommunications companies (which has changed).  It will reflect
the likelihood of some cash rich overseas corporation coming and
taking a cornerstone stake in Telstra (there aren't any cash rich
telcos left that can do it now), it will reflect the growth of dial
up internet (largely complete and irrelevant) and other historical
factors.  In other words the driving factors that make up the
movements in the price of TLS have completely changed and as such any
study of the TLS chart is, very likely, *a complete waste of time.*

See you on the focus investment group where I will be attempting a
more fundamentalist based approach as to what sort of returns you
can expect if you buy into Telstra today.

SNOOPY

disclosure: hold TLS.  Looking to add to it if ther numbers stack up.

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."