Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2002

[sharechat] THL - fundamentalists view

From: "Peter" <pmaiden@today.com.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 07:58:53 +1300

Jim - you wanted a fundamentalists view of THL.

Very difficult to put a value on THL in view of it's cuurent
distressing performance.

If they closed down tomorrow and realised 50% of what they are worth
yheir value is about $0.95 per share. Eliminate the $40M of goodwill
this figure is about $0.73. Net tangible assets are about $1.46 per
share.

Therefore the market is currently valuing THL as a pretty distressed
company. If there is a turnaround then the value of THL will
obviously increase. But by how much?

I tend to look at what performance is needed to cover the cost of
capital, ie creating value for shareholders. At $1.02 the market is
saying that THL is going to destroy another $140 million of
shareholder value in the future.

So what does THL need to do to cover it's cost of capital? Allowing
for both equity and debt about $21 million in after tax profits. At
this level of performance THL could demand a shareprice in excess of
$3.00

The biggest problem THL has is it's high fixed expense base. Revenues
are a key driver to profitability. A quick sum suggests that at least
20-30% increase in revenues is needed to get to this figure along
with some reduction in variable costs (maybe along the lines of what
Hans is getting at, management excesses?)

Therein lies the problem. THL track record is very poor. They are
also talking about selling some of their revenue generating assets.
They are also talking about delaying upgrading their fleet. Not a
pretty picture.

This has to be a turnaround story of immense proportions if the
shareprice is to get back where it was a few years ago. If you think
they can do this and have faith that current management can do it
stick with them. If not already in get in now.

My view is that things don't change unless something major disturbs
the status quo. I don't see that presently happening in THL and would
not go anywhere near them.

THL love showing the graph of visitor arrivals to NZ. I did write to
them to overlay their profit performance on the same graph but did
not get any response. As vistor numbers have gone up over the years
THL profits have gone down. That is how sad this whole sorry affair
is.

A fundamentalists view. When companies get to this level of
performance it really is a matter of what if, faith and hope. In the
case of THL you could say that a fair value could be antyhing in
betweem zilch and say $3.00 in a few years. On what we know today the
current value is probably appropriate.

Cheers

Peter

  --- Send the right message ---

        + Today freemail +

Get your free, private email address at
       http://www.today.com.au

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] THL - Technical view Phaedrus