Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] Cullen to Introduce Wealth Tax - Confirm

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:56:40 +0000

Hi DR,

>Thanx Snoopy for not getting too upset.
>Actually there is IMHO a strong case for taxing at a "nominal
>interest rate" such NZ based assets as bare land and pleasure craft
>and second personal houses above some threshhold. You know - making
>assets work etc.

So someone living in Remuera in a $5m dollar house who rents the
whole the Huka Lodge for their holidays should not be taxed on their
home, whereas someone living in Oamaru in a $40,000 house should pay
tax on their  $20,000 crib at Box Bay?   Where is the fairness in
that?   And how does it provoke efficient utilisation of assets?

>It may be completely unworkable like the FIF regime,

Why do you perpetuate that myth?   Granted the Inland Revenue
department staff behind the desk do not seem to understand it.  But
if you take the trouble to look at the paperwork it is a very simple
idea:

Take the value of the asset (including interest/dividends received)
at the end of the year.  Take from that the  value of the asset at
the start of the year.  Calculate your *real*  gain and be taxed on
that.

The FIF regieme may indeed be more complicated than taxing you on the
benefits the government thinks you *should* be earning from your
assets (which may bear no relation to tha actual benefit you receive
from them).   And if you accept the Cullen proposal, not only are you
accepting that the government should *dictate* the return you
make.  By implication Cullen is also telling you the risk you should
take on your investment too.  It doesn't make sense that a retired
person should be asked to take the same risk as a $200,000 per
year 28 year old 'high flyer'.  The Comparative Value FIF regieme is
neutral in all these matters, and, as such, much fairer.

Having more accountants per head of population than any country
in the western world we certainly have the brainpower on hand to make
the FIF regieme work.

>but at least
>the asset would focus the mind of the owner to see if the desire to
>own it was justified.

I can't disagree that using assets more productively is a good thing.

But I wonder if the government taking a big stick to its citizens is
the way to do it?

If you are concerned that New Zealanders should be investing more and
spending less, perhaps what is needed is some better core NZ
investments to put money into?  There have been some awfully shonky
stock market companies floated in NZ over the last few years.  Who
can blame NZrs from being shy of the sharemarket?   Promoting
property in Queensland with 'rent guarantees' paid for by
overinflating the price of the asset is almost a criminal scam, yet
is common here.  And as for investment advisors promoting managed
funds on the basis of last years returns!  Any one who has studied
investment will know that to investing in such a fund is a virtual
guarantee of underperformance.

Now consider a specific example weith this new legislation in place.
Consider the case of a New Zealander who invests in a foreign
investment fund.   The value of the fund goes down, and there is no
payout received during the year.  Yet the investor receives a huge
tax bill from Cullen!  The knee jerk investor thinks to hell with
this and sells out.   But in the long term this is the worst possible
reaction.  The investor should be buying more while the price is low,
yet the Cullen scheme will encourage him to do the exact opposite.
The Cullen scheme is a disaster for future New Zealand investment
being legislated to happen!

As an alternative, I think much better education of investors is
needed so they can evaluate for themselves what is a good investment.
  Until that happens New Zealanders will continue to enjoy their
reputation as some of the world's worst investors.

>Call me any rude name you like but NZ as a
>country has to get its assets employed better and the move of
>capital into fewer hands in recent years has encouraged financial
>SLOTH among some of the beneficiaries.

Doug Myers getting a $x00m payout from his holding in Lion Nathan,
makes a beneficiary in Otautau slothful?   I think you are drawing a
long bow. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"