[sharechat] Telecom HY2002 (was Gold Down $8)

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:07:53 +0000

Hi hugh,

>Now, lets see. If you take Telecoms latest half year dividend and
>annualise it and capitalise it at the same ratio as the property
>shares that gives a price of $3 a share. And its growing at 4%,
>about the same as the hated property shares.....

Telecom doesn't pay out all of its earnings as dividends Hugh.  Even
though many property companies and trusts do!  Their idea is to use
their retained earnings to boost earnings in the future.

Adjusting for this fact, if you annualize and capitalize *earnings*
yield you get a share price of $6 per share, and you can buy Telecom
shares for much less than that today.  Show me a property
company that has been growing at a sustained 4% over the last
10 years.  Telecom is cheaper than your property share darlings and
growing faster!

>And if the NASDAQ falls about 700 points it will have about the same
>overblown low yield ratio as the Dow. Unless of course you may have
>to adjust that again for lies told by chartered accountants in their
>reporting....

I read the story today about how Cable and Wireless in the UK  have
been trading customer groups and booking these capital transactions
as profits.  In the USA they would have to amortize any such gains
over a 20 year period.   Telecom NZ have been doing something
similar with future capacity on their Southern Cross cable.  It all
seems quite legal though.   The complaint seems to be about the
accounting standard that allowed them to do it, rather than pointing
to anything fundamentally wrong with what Telecom did. SNOOPY

disclosure:  Hold TEL

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."