Re: [sharechat] The Kirk's Recapitalisation

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:27:42 +0000

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the enlightening reply.  I didn't consciously remember
reading your column on the subject in December, but after reading the
excerpt I am now sure that I did.

>Since then I've become aware that the new strategy, which I agree
>completely changes the risk profile of the company, is probably
>being driven by the new CEO. The expansion itself makes sense, the
>existing premises are not ideal - there simply isn't enough room and
>there isn't even air conditioning. An air bridge is logical, as is
>gradually taking over space in the Harbour City Centre as it comes
>free. Whether they had to buy the property themselves to achieve
>this expansion is another issue altogether.

It sounds like the Kirks building itself is in need of a good refit.
I wonder how it stacks up against current earthquake engineering
standards?  Perhaps the capital requirements that Kirk's have are
greater than they are letting on?  It is unthinkable that Kirks
would ever move from it's site.  But then again, if the building next
door was an option?  Perhaps they will tout that as a possibility
when they renegotiate the rent agreement for that Kirk's site?  I
wonder when the next rent renegotiation is due?  Could the purchase
of the old DIC building be some giant bargaining chip in a game of
rent poker?

>I think investors are bailing primarily due to the rights issue -
>not because of the change of direction - many are Wellingtonians
>fiercely loyal to the company and they will be selling only because
>they can't afford to take up the rights. Interestingly, Kirks
>director Murray Doyle, one of the most astute and well connected
>investors around is an underwriter of the issue.

I can't quite remember how Kirks got onto the main board.  My memory
says they were unlisted for a while, before gaining their sharemarket
listing, but I can't remember where all the original shareholders
came from.  My other memory says they were resurrected from some
shell company that almost collapsed in the late 1980s.   Such
memories if corrected would be useful in trying to assess the risk
profile of the shareholders that are there now.

Of course, the contrary view of 'loyal shareholder' is someone
lacking the analytical skills to realise what is happening until it
is too late!   And that Murray Doyle is only underwriting the rights
issue himself because he couldn't get anyone 'outside' to do it.   It
is good to see people backing their own horse with their own money
like this but at the same time such people can have distorted views
of their own abilities.   That probably sounds extra cynical, but I
know that retailing can be a tough game.

>For these reasons I'd see the current weakness in the price as an
>opportunity rather than a problem.

I have to admit to having a soft spot for Kirks myself.  You
have to respect a business that has been around since 1863.  Then
again I thought the same of 'the Southerner', and we lost that after
124 years of servicing the Christchurch to Invercargill rail route
last week.   But I'll be keeping an eye on Kirks I think.
SNOOPY

disclosure:  do not hold shares in KRK

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"