Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

[sharechat] What's Your Favourite Share

From: "Dick O'Connor" <callme_nz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:26:16 +0000

I think my favourite share at present would have to be the Westpac Trust NZ
share.

One of the things that irks me most is that if you buy an Au share that
carries a full dividend imputation there, the Govt here slaps on what is
tantamount to a surcharge, and you lose a third of the dividend. The WPT
share got rid of that problem and they deserve   thanks for that…..if only
more banks and other companies would follow suit.

I realise that on this site we don’t expect people to go into their private
finances, but in this particular case I think I’ll say how many shares I
bought and at what price so you will understand why I think this share is so
good.

When the shares were offered in the latter half of 1999, there was an
initial payment, in Sept if I remember rightly, of $7.20 followed by a final
payment of $4.75 in Dec 2000, making a total cost of $11,95 a share, but
carrying a full dividend from the start as a come-on.

I ordered 500 shares, then went and had another read of the offer
doccuments, rattled the calculator keys a bit more, liked them a bit more,
and ordered another $400. Subsequently I bought on market two further lots
of 100 shares each. The cost of the 1100 shares has averaged out at $12.24
each.

The capital gain over the appriximately 2yrs 4mths has been a compounding
rate of around 15-16% per annum. I am also now getting a net dividend yield
of 6.3%.

It’s a pleasure to read the company reports. The company has a  good feel
about it, and it’s CEO is now regarded as one of the best in the industry.
Some Au analysts are saying the banks might not do so well this year.But so
far this has been a very satisfactory share and it reminds me of what a good
investment is supposed to be like.

As usual, of course, how well you do with a share depends very largely on
the price you buy in at.

Thanks to those who have contributed to this discussion. I didn’t pick a
very good time, I’m afraid,  because obviously a number of people have been
on holiday. Maybe there will be more coming back now. If there are, I would
strongly urge as many as possible to tell us their favoutites – the more who
contribute, the more useful the exercise will be. And  it might even lead on
to other things......Cheers