Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2002

Re: [sharechat] FRU

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:32:20 +1100

Nick,

I can't help but feel a bit cynical about this sudden negative turnaround in
predicting FRU's future prospects.  When the Danone bid was first announced
the majority of "analysts" blasted it for being far too cheap.  What a
difference a month makes huh.  Maybe Forbes Global got it very wrong - maybe
Frucor isn't one of the world's 20 best small companies anymore.

One thing is for certain - Danone's spin doctors have done a great job in
talking down FRU's prospects - they should be congratulated for a job well
done.  As an aside - in the independent committee's latest letter they say
this:

"in the rapidly rationalising global beverage industry, a strong partner
should facilitate growth of Frucor's brands".

While that will be great for FRU's new owner (should the bid succeed), New
Zealand will have lost another great company.

C'est la vie?

Best, Ben

(Disc. do not hold FRU).