Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2001

Re: [sharechat] Mary is into TA

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 12:21:14 +1300

well I have to say I haven't read Mary's article yet (I read some of the later
posts first and I
was wondering who "Mary" was - whether Mary Buffett had temporaily lost her
marbles.
Now that I read the quote I think its a grave misinterpretation to say that
Mary has gone over to
"technical analysis".
All she's doing is looking at past hard data illustrated as a graph - it could
equally well be
columns of data showing the same thing.
The leaps of blind faith she doesn't make - all the mumbo jumbo of 'head and
shoulders'  & graphs.
A simple illustration - its been warm in Chch the last 3 days. If I drew a
graph I could then point
out that its trend line shows its going to get warmer but in fact a dirty great
front swans in from
over the Tasman and we get a dose of snow.
Similarly for shares - maybe CAH shows a slowly improving shareprice so some
people dive into it.
However the prices of competing products in plastic, concrete, steel,
aluminium, and wood from
South America then cut it off at the knees and it collapses.
But a value investor wouldn't have been exposed because they would have done
their homework, read
Buffetology and realised that CAH is in a commodity market with competition
nearly completely on
price and no or low barriers to entry. So they wouldn't have invested. Instead
they would have cast
around for Buffett type stocks - Auckland Airport is the most obvious one - but
there are
others....