Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: Subject: [sharechat] Frucor rival bids

From: "Phil Boeyen" <pboeyen@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:22:58 +1300

Nick The Kiwi

CCA (Coca-cola Amatil) would likely have a problem with Frucor because it has the Pepsi business in NZ.  This doesn't mean they may not be interested and then sell off Pepsi but that may be problematic depending on agreements.

Apparently CFSB are talking to a couple of parties interested in Frucor but no announcement today with the report.

I'm not sure about Cadbury Schweppes, think I read something about them that more or less ruled them out but can't remember what/where.  Frucor bought the Spring Valley distribution system in Australia from Bonlac earlier in the year after Bonlac sold its spring Valley juice brand and Wave dairy drink brand to Cadbury Schweppes.  Coke previously tried to buy Cadbury Schweppes but I think the ACCC in Australia ruled the deal out some years ago?

I was interested to read the following the other day re Aussie dairy company National Foods:
However I don't know what tie-up they may have with Coke or Cadbury or if they have enough cash etc.  How about Fonterra - would they be interested in Frucor?  They certainly have the export nouse and distribution worldwide and know plenty about branding but I don't know if they want to get into the non-dairy industry in this way.

Cheers, Phil
(hold fru)