Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: [sharechat] Posting charts

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:29:52 +0000

Hi Phaedrus,

>I can see your first chart OK, but seem to be unable to view
>either of your .PNG images. I post all my charts using .gif
>format. The Sharechat site was unable to handle my charts as
>.jpg attachments because of their size. GIF files are about
> one tenth the size of JPG, and seem to have much the same
>resolution.  Phaedrus.

My views on this subject.

As a matter of principle I would prefer not to see any charts on this
forum.  Why?  For the same reason I don't like posts in HTML only
more so.   It slows down the recovery of messages from my mail server
something horribly.   You should all attempt to get across your
information posted to the forum as concisely as possible IMHO.

However, I do accept that is some circumstances 'style' is useful
and that charts are useful to some.  So my preferred method for
dealing with them would be for the poster to put them on a personal
website and *post the link* on this forum.  Yes it means learning
the very basics of creating an HTML webpage, but even for the
technically challenged there is software out there that makes
such a thing a no brainer.  Posting fancy stuff this way means that,
if you don't want to download and look at these charts you don't have
to!

On the subject of 'clarity' and charts, when it comes down to it we
are talking about lines on a (virtual) bit of paper here.   '*.gif'
is almost ideal for that and very clear.  All this talk on 'clarity'
is a red herring for charts IMHO.  'jpeg/'jpg' is a format quite
unsuitable for charts.  It is a lossy format designing primarily for
photographs and will 'smudge' charts if you try to use it in that
application.  *.png is a newer format, which, like Phaedrus, I can't
read.   So in this one I agree with Phaedrus, and put in my vote for
the *.gif format.   A *.gif chart will be smaller in size (faster to
download), clearer and more widely readable than any other format I
can think of.

OK, that's the end of my rant, but in saying that I'm going to back
pedal and contradict myself a bit.  Even though I am not a chartist I
actually enjoy Phaedrus's charts.  OK, I admit it I even look forward
to them!  So don't stop posting them here Phaedrus.  And anyone else
who must do the same thing, I hope you follow Phaedrus's example
of how to do it. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"