Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

Re: [sharechat] NZSE - A Dying Exchange

From: "charlie brown" <gordy_gecko@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:27:34 +1000

Ben

I read with interest your story "A Dying Exchange".

It seems to me as an ex-pat kiwi working abroad that NZer's as a whole (and
more particularly your sites target demographics) have yet to come to grips
with NZ's "real" place in a world economy and ever expanding globalisation.
The NZSE and NZ as a whole, in its hey-day, did not have to deal with
globalisation like it does now.

We can stand and lambast, grizzle and whine about the role politicians,
business leaders et al. have played in the demise of the NZSE and NZ, but at
the end of the day, I think that "we" all need to ask ourselves the hard
questions regarding where we think NZ "really" fits into the greater scheme
of things.  NZ is not Australia, the US or the UK, it is NZ - it should
therefore be judged on its on merits and not those bench marks set by these
countries.

Politicians, business leaders and all of us are responsible for forming a
"new" NZ, one that understands its place in the greater scheme of things.
We shouldn't sit around and reflect on the demise of the NZSE and the
attrition rate of the companies leaving it, but rather look at it for the
role it plays - raising capital.  If it cannot efficiently and effectively
do this, then question whether it has a place.

The point was made why some of NZ's other burgeoning companies have not
listed eg Tait.  Compliance costs etc were reasons pointed out as to why
they may choose not too.  In my opinion it is more simple than that, they
are good "private" companies who compete locally and internationally who
know their limitations and stick to them.  They have no reason to raise cash
on the NZSE or the secondary board, because they don't need it.  If they do,
they do it privately.  I would rather a country full of good private
companies than a country with a board comprising a motley array of "has
beens" and "never wills".

I could go on, but IMHO we all need to be a little more circumspec about the
role we have on the global playing field.  NZ needs to become more niche
rather than "full service".  In striving to do this there will be costs;
companies will go, service organisations will down size, people will loose
their jobs.  At the end of the day though, this will more truely reflect the
countries place in the greater scheme of things.

It was good to see in this morninns news that Michael Cullen is considering
reducing the rate of tax for foreign investors to 18%.  IMO this should go
further, and try to attract a certain type of company and sector NZ rather
than a level playing field for all sectors.  NZ needs to focus on "some" and
not all.  Our need in the past to focus on it all has landed us where we are
today.

Good day to you all.

CB