Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

[sharechat] Tax on Share Options

From: "graham jackson" <grahamjakson@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:08:31 +0000

Hi Sharechat
Can anyone assist me with Tax info?
I have share options recently given to me by company, a NZ registered
company with Head office in Asia.
I can exercise my options any time of year.
I am trying to confirm the tax implications relating to the share options.
I have identified 3 so far..
1-I pay tax on the taxable benefit at the time I exercise my option.(39%)
2- I pay tax on unrealised capital gains. ie a Tax on the differenc between
the exercise price and the value of the shares at the end of the
Tax year (end of March).
This is a result of my company being Asian based (not USA, Canada or Japan)
3- I pay tax on the profit at the end. (39% of the total profit)

Is there any further information relating to item 2 (eg. how much this Tax
is? Is the Tax calculation always done on the last day of March etc)
Is there any software package available in NZ to help me work out my total
loss to Tax- as it seems substantial

Thanks
Graham -