Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

Re: [sharechat] Stockness: The significance of V.W.A.P / Iguana staff

From: Adam Rands <adamlist@iguana2.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:20:48 +1000

Gerry

You have made me very nervous... I will do my best :)

VWAP stands for Volume Weighted Average Price

Investorwords.com defines VWAP as

"A measure of the price at which the majority of a given day's trading in a given security took place. Calculated by taking the weighted average of the prices of each trade. The method is used by institutional traders, who often break a given trade into multiple transactions. "

Iguana2 agrees with this definition

VWAP is calculated by taking the current total value and dividing it by the total volume. (all trades are included)

Some investors find VWAP particular useful when they are buying and selling stock. If an investor buys stock at $4.00 and the VWAP for the day was $4.03 then it could be said that the investor bought the stock cheap on the day.

Institutions refer to VWAP a lot more than private investors. If a broker has a large order to fill the Insto (the brokers client) will insist that the broker buys(or sells) the stock as close as possible to the days VWAP.

The VWAP figure can be found on the "course of trades" page on SNM

Another feature on SNM many would of missed is that the intraday chart plots the VWAP price. Its displayed as a light gray line in the background.

Hope this help

Adam