Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

Re: [sharechat] Air NZ and the Government

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 19:23:35 +1200

Excellent comment, Bruce!

I have always taken the position that lending money to Air was not a good thing. Remember that "shaky Capital Notes" talk?

I am not against NZ taking a solid stake in AIR, provided that all functions of the airline are looked into with the aim of achieving some " ruthless" savings and to ensure that best management practices are adhered to.

Air cannot afford to willy nilly "wander around"; no airline can!
Presumably, the Govt. will need to ensure that any money put into Air, will not go to Aus.unions or other creditors.

It is a matter of National interest, I believe but the safeguards must be there. We also need a Board which not only can work together, has the needed brain cells and is prepared to work!

For a start, out goes any Director with too many directorships!

I am replying as a taxpayer; never held Air shares.

Gerry