Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] The quality of decision making - as Investors

From: aorang@voyager.co.nz
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:20:59 +1200

Gerry,

The title of your post got me thinking about how good many investors decision making abilities are.

Are many of us guilty of putting most of our energies into researching and making the decision to buy stocks and neglecting researching and deciding when to sell?

Buying is the easy part - selling the hard part.

I know from my own experience that I have frequently seen a well researched buy pay off with a subsequent price rise only to watch the profit disappear by neglecting to sell a stock in a different area of the market when clear sell signals have been seen.

As a small 4000 share AIRVA stockholder for several years I let myself become a spectator to their problems and did not take any action myself in the mistaken thought that "I am a long term" stockholder and it will come right in due course.

Now we are blaming the Company and the Government for doing the same!!

I do agree that their actions (or inactions) are really inept, unforgivable and put New Zealand to shame.

I am concerned however that my own inaction can also be described in a similar manner!

Once again I have learned the hard way a valuable lesson of investing. I am determined not to make the same mistake again in the future.

I wonder if NZ business heavyweights and NZ and Aust governments have also learned from this and will be equally as determined.

Somehow, I think not.

Regards,
Moose

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.sharechat.co.nz/ New Zealand's home for market investors ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: [sharechat] Fw: Selling short Wedde, John