Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: [sharechat] The current status of Teletext.

From: jerrold poh <pohj@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:25:25 +1200

> When I was living in Oz a year ago, you could hire a computer keyboard and
> box device at the video shop, which they said let you access the internet
> from tv. The keyboard sat on you lap and spoke to the tv via Infra-red.
> Maybe they were pulling my leg - I never tried it.

No disrespect or anything, but there's something like this in New
Zealand ... you can do this with ihug, and as I recall, the product
is called a "surf board".  Didn't really look into this, so can't really
give you more details ...

As for watching TV on a computer?  You can already do this.  Just
purchase a TV tuner card for about $200 odd, plug in an antenna and
you're away laughing.  As for quality, tv quality is only about 320x200,
and it acheives it's "clarity" by some fuzzy around the edges (c'mon,
how close do you really sit to the tv :) ).  The computer can get around
that with some fancy mpeg encoding bs so yeah, just so long as you don't
sit too close to the comp to watch tv .. either that or just resize your
window to 320x200 :).

Anyway, enough of this .. back to "share chat" :).

Jerrold.