Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

[sharechat] Wakefield/Matt

From: "Philip Robinson" <pcr@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:19:36 +1200

Title: Message
Good to get some debate about things again.

Matt, thanks for your comments, but you may have misunderstood me, I was in no way making a recommendation.

I was not suggesting that training doctors was  "going to make them a whole lot of cash", but in comparison with other private hospitals in Wellington, Southern Cross, Bowen etc, they are the only ones to have a significant medical training presence, not a cash cow but a differentiation among its peers. If I made the assertion or if it could be interpreted this way then I was not meaning this.

Buffet always says understand the industry/company you are dealing with and then you will have an idea about the future of the product and service. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy anything they don't understand. That is why I don't invest in forestry, mining or the oil and gas sectors, I just don't understand the cycles or economics of the industries. I have a much greater understanding of biomedical sciences and related subjects among other things and choose to focus my attention on this and other areas.

I am sure that the public/investors wants to know whether they can sustain growth, I would like to know also, but unfortunately no one knows this, all one can do is look at the past and overseas, and examine trends in healthcare and make educated guesses.

Fil

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Re:Ozzy Unit Trusts Philip Robinson