Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: [sharechat] ffs

From: Greg <g&jelliott@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 17:43:55 +1200

Title: Re: [sharechat]   ffs
Now I see that Gerry has given us all some excellent advice (26 March) when he recommended RBC. At that time it was 43c whereas FFS was just over 30c. RBC has since climbed over 70%, whilst FFS is still back at 30c. RBC was obviously the share of choice for those preferring to grow wealth, as opposed to burying money in the ground.

However, some of us opted for the hole in the ground (for various reasons), and still hold FFS.

The question has again been raised as to whether to stick with FFS (in the hope that a bid against the central Nth Island receivership might raise the share value towards what some brokers believe is the fair valuation of 40c) - or switch belatedly to RBC, given prospects of a further rise towards 90c-$1 over the next few months.

Granted, it would have been smarter to have switched back in March. But doesn't any decision now depend on the upside you think RBC has, relative to FFS? If FFS rises to 40c, that's a 33% gain. If RBC makes it to 90c, that's a 22% gain (minus brokerage costs in transferring shares).  Except that any rise in FFS will cascade into a further rise in RBC, pushing this even higher.  So, it looks as if even a late switch to RBC holds better potential - is is that how RBC holders see things?

Greg E (hold FFS)