Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: [sharechat] Tax

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 21:04:12 +0000

Hi silverfox,

>Does anyone have a link to a website/websites that explain to some
>level of detail the tax implications of overseas investments (esp.
>US and Aussie shares)? I've tried the IRD website but can't see the
>wood for the trees.

I presume you are talking about the tax implications for NZ
investors investing in these countries?

You would probably have to look at the 'Income Tax Act 1994' and
subsequent amendments to answer all of your possible questions.  You
can find it at your central library.   But, this being a weighty
legalistic tome,  I suspect looking at that will be more confusing
than looking at any information that the IRD may have available to
you.

I can tell you that for NZ investors there are dual taxation
arrangements such that mean you are allowed to claim credits on
your tax return for 'witholding tax' paid on Australian and USA
dividends.  Somewhat perversely if the credit for tax paid is in the
form of Australian Franking Credits, then you can't claim that.

The NZ IRD puts out a table with designated monthly exchange rates so
that you can convert income from overseas shares into NZ dollars at
the right rate.  You can use the nominal exchange rate that the IRD
gives you, or the actual rate on the day you were paid the money.

If you sell shares in the Australian or USA markets and you bought
those shares for the accumulation of income they give you (i.e. not
as a trader), then no capital gains tax is payable by you.   Unless
of course the 'you' is a professionally managed fund in which case
the capital gain is assessed as part of your income.   Traders have
to pay capital gains (treated as income) on their overseas trades
just as they have to on their New Zealand trades.

Your question asked for a website, other than the IRD one.  I don't
know of anything but I would caution you on using simplified
information at face value.   Interpreting this sort of thing is why
accountants are sometimes useful!  I don't know if I have answered
any of the questions you have in mind, but ask again specifically if
there is something particular on your mind that I haven't covered.
SNOOPY

(disclaimer:  This information is offered as what I have found from
my own experience and part time detective work on the subject.  it
should in no way be regarded as professional advice on taxation)

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."