Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re: [sharechat] Technical Analysis

From: "John and Beth Schwartfeger" <timestwo@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:29:49 +1200

Hi Phaedrus,
I would rather not mention names of software packages for various reasons. The main reason is I am not fully conversant with the programs full capabilities. Plus they might sue me and that would be counter productive to my retirement fund. :))))
The moving average cross over I was referring to is the cross over of two moving averages. There is a standard default you can set these two moving averages to or you can change them manually to what ever you want them to be.
However there is a function of the program that will allow the program to optimise the m.a. values to what it believes are the best values for that stock. At all times you are aware of what the moving average values are. I would have thought the programs optimisation function would be the best as it was designed by experts who should know what works best. However, different ma's give such a wide difference in cross over signals and this is where I come unstuck on ma's. In my case on GPG the cross over said to sell when I was using it around the 7th June but now that cross over is no where to be seen. Of course the program could by this time be using a different m.a. value but that is an excuse for the program shifting the goal posts after the event.
Many thanks. John.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] TEL Long-term Chart tennyson@caverock.net.nz