Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re: [sharechat] Mike

From: "Mike Hudson" <mikehudson@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:13:26 +1200

Phil wrote

"Thanks Mike that would be much appreciated, as hearing it from the company is one thing and hearing it from an independent third party is something different...or is he independent..... :-)"

Totally objective and independent as always; no position in FRU. Although if I find Pomgolia awash with the stuff..................

Anyway a pint of Tetleys is more to my taste.

Ian Andrews and Malcolm Breadmore's responses saved me diving in to the Property vs Shares debate too deeply except to say that if people are going to live in houses and apartments what difference does it make to the economy whether they are owned are rented? The argument that New Zealanders put too much of their savings into residential property is a smokescreen. The real problems with our economy, investment and savings rate stem from our reliance on producing and selling commodities.

Also I don't see the issue as one of Property "versus" Shares. Any prudent investor will have a mix of equities, property and fixed interest investments; the balance between the classes being determined by the investors risk profile and financial goals. I prefer commercial property myself but there are many who see residential property as a worthwhile investment and who are performing and essential social service in the process.

I'll get off my soapbox now

Cheers
Mike H

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] ITC and Virtual spectator nick