Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re: [sharechat] Re: Bonds query

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:22:35 +0000

>With say 10 - $20K available to invest in
>specific bonds (rather than mutual funds -I like to be a hands-on
>learner), your site appears to imply that the (fixed?) brokerage
>fees may be excessive. I haven't yet asked any brokers what they
>charge - know any good ones for this purpose?

I just approached my sharebroker at the time.  I think most
sharebrokers will deal in the bond market.  The actual commission
rate that the broker charged wasn't bad.  Certainly far less than you
would pay for shares of equivalent value.   But all the broker did
was ring up their bank for a quote.  And the bank, of course, had
already tacked their own profit margin onto the quote.  So, in
effect, you are paying double brokerage doing it this way.

If you want to find out what the 'real' brokerage is try ringing up
and asking for the 'buy' price for the bonds you want, and find out
at the same time what you would receive if you 'sold' the bonds at
the same time.  I think you will find that most banks will have a buy
and a sell price for government bonds.   The difference between the
buy and the sell price will be twice the brokerage you pay on one
transaction (either buy or sell).

I did try to bypass this process by approaching the bank directly,
but they weren't interested in dealing with me direct on bonds, even
though I was supposedly a loyal customer.   But do try your own bank
first - you may have better clout than I did at the time!

You should also know that in New Zealand, if you sell out of a bond,
or you hold it to maturity, you are liable to pay income tax on
any capital gain you make.  This can cut both ways as if you make a
'loss' on the capital value of your bond you must offset this loss
against your income.  This is a requirement even if you
are just a Mum and Dad casual investor.  This is different to the
case of shares where for the Mums and Dads capital gains are tax free
as long as you are not trading for a living.    So what I am saying
here is that as a Mum and Dad investor you have a tax advantage over
the managed share funds, but as a bond investor you have no tax
advantage over the managed bond funds.

>I've since found www.investinginbonds.com very useful, but I suppose
>I'm looking more for ongoing discussion on NZ/Aus bonds / yield
>curve predictions etc in the manner of the share chatrooms. Maybe
>there is less to talk about with bonds  - just keep an eye on
>interest rates.

Bonds tend to respond to the 'general economy'.   To get a feel for
it you should pay attention to what the Reserve bank and various
senior bank   Economists say about long term interest rates, short
term interest rates which way the yield curve is moving and all that
stuff.  If you can anticipate the trends right you can make capital
profits on bonds.   But it is hard to see how you can get any 'hot
tips'' from chatrooms on this sort of macro behaviour.   And it is
macroeconomic behaviour that drives bond values.

For me it is too much hard work to try and outguess the
pros and their bond funds which are trying to do exactly the same
thing as you.  So for me bonds are a 'buy and hold' part of my
investment portfolio.  But good luck to you if you can make a go of
trading them. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."