Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

Re: [sharechat] Trends are a powerful force

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:57:21 +1200

Once again, a very good post, Peter!
The IMF / CSFB / Datastream grapf shows that the long run depreciation of the $ NZ is about 2% per year in real SDR terms: period 1957-1998.

 This is referred to in my " LEARNING ...Barriers to sound investment ( 5), date May 13, 2001

Countries who export predominantly commodities and at the same time are heavily exposed to tariff barriers of their finished goods, all have these problems.

Most of these countries lack imaginative governments and populations.

The most valuable of our exports are our skilled people who have been trained here at a high expense; many of these owe money borrowed from the Government, as well!

We have to increase tourism levels and maintain good export prices just to keep pace with the outflow of NZ currency!

Yes, Helen, you better start thinking about " closing those gaps! "

You either have to be less dogmatic, attract some large I T enterprises with some incentives - as Australia and everyone else does, but some deny doing so - and so at least keep some of the brighter people here.

There are now plenty of examples to show the way.

The alternative is to lose most of them.

 Who then will have to look after Jim's followers, the so called " downtrodden masses "?

Gerry

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Trends are a powerful force Peter Maiden