RE: [sharechat] Residential Property

From: "Breadmore, Malcolm" <BreadmoM@anz.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 14:21:25 +1000

Andrew

I agree that the great returns of yester-year are no longer with us, but
investing in property is still a very favourable investment vehicle.

To answer your question, high gearing is still the way to go. Money from the
banks is very cheap at present and of course banks fall over themselves to
lead you money up to 70-80% of your security on investment property @ 7%.

Consider you have borrowed $1,000,000 from the bank to buy $1,000,000 of
investment property (using your home as collateral) and that investment
property only just returns a positive cash flow, covering all expenses.

Then that property goes up in value 2% over the inflation rate of 3-4 %.
(average is 10% since 400 AD, but lets be realistic today)

You make a capital gain of 5-6% on $1,000,000 = $50 - $60,000.

Now, how much did you pay for this investment.......nothing, you borrowed
the lot, not bad eh!

The important thing to remember to make this work is:
1. As with share trading, you need to buy the right properties. Not any old
one will do. Location, location, location
2. You must minimise your tax position, with a real knowledge of the system
(or have a good accountant).
3. You must have a freehold home (or nearly)
4. A good chattel valuer. This maximises the tax return.

Yes there is risk, but some might say that "it's as safe as houses".

Malcolm
disc own rentals