Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2001

Re: [sharechat] Online Investor Toolbox

From: Stott <bincqs@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:23:53 +1200

Bruce
I too went to the Online investors seminar (I was dragged along by a
friend).  They were certainly a class act!  Pretty good presentation (Alan
Andrus was well rehearsed).
Several thoughts:

Firstly, most of what they talked about you can learn from reading books on
the topic.  If your local library is not adequately supplied, head for the
local university library and send a few hours researching.

That said, their asking price of approx. NZ$10,000 per unit (excuse me,
last night's special offer NZ$6,000 - a very infomercial conclusion to the
night I thought!) seems a bit......steep.
Basically, all you're getting is access to their website.  Which,
admittedly, looks excellent!  I was impressed with the sophistication of
what they offered.
However!
There are lots of other websites that offer the same applications for a lot
less.  Moneycentral at MSN for example offer most of what the boys were
trying to sell last night.........for free!
( http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp ) Click on "Portfolios" and
have a look at what they offer.  Not quite as good, but better than parting
with $10,000 for 2 days of "training", video tapes and 1 years access to
their website.
Have a look around on the web - most of it's there!

Finally, some of their ideas on what are "good numbers" (eg PE values, etc)
left me feeling a little uneasy.  And their system depended on these
numbers to a certain degree.

I been to a few of these presentations, most of them are the same - but
prices vary.

Before I finish, keep up the good work Ben and co.!  Great web site and
forum!  Also, my complements to Nigel McCarter (author of "Shorten the
Odds") who I believe in a subscriber to this forum - fantastic book
explaining the local markets.

Best regards

Simon Stott