Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2001

Re: [sharechat] AIR - SNOOPY?

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:32:42 +0000

> i think there is another signal that might prompt me to buy more
> airva -- if singapore air (or someone) showed interest in buying
> into ansett.

Agreed.

> snoopy, i don't quite understand the ramifications of airva
> announcing a capital note issue.  why do you see this as a positive
> sign?  wouldn't it mean that they need yet more money -- and they
> already have cash.  i seem to be missing something, and would love
> an explanation if you have enough time.

I think there is a difference between 'needing money' (as in being
called upon by your banker to cough some up) and 'needing money' in
the sense of being able to do exactly what you want with it.  I know
that AirNZ wants to equip Ansett with new planes, but the planes
won't be falling out of the sky if they don't.

The capital note issue would necessarily mean an increase in debt for
AirNZ.   They could use it to replace some of their existing debt on
more favourable terms, for instance.

Investors don't like uncertainty, and I don't think any form of
capital raising (being Singapore Airlines buying directly into
Ansett, another cash issue or capital notes) would go ahead without
there being some form of stable outlook ahead.   Even if the stable
outlook is bad (price wars for the medium term future) investors will
want to be sure just what they are letting themselves in for.  In the
case of the capital notes this would mean being able to set a market
competitive interest rate and conversion terms in line with Air New
Zealand's perceived risk.   If the capital notes come out, you can be
sure that the high powered bankers will have gone through this
exercise.  And if the corporate bankers are satisfied with the terms
and conditions of such a capital note issue, then I would be too.
SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."