Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2001

[sharechat] Orders at limit, partial trades - advice required

From: "Michael Sprott" <sprotty@zfree.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:49:35 +1200

Hi

Some advice requested.

I recently placed a limit order for some shares with my (on-line) broker for
1000
shares. I received notification that 500 shares had been purchased on my behalf
was charged the flat fee brokerage for the trade.The rest of my order was not
completed
and subsequently the price of the share has moved upwards.

Now my question. If the broker is unable to fulfil the other 500 shares, has the
order been fulfilled and should I have to pay the full brokerage?

I have called my broker and he said that they will try and marry sellers with
buyers
and for limit orders they will often fulfil partial orders to make up a trade.
It
seems I must pay the full brokerage even if only part of the trade has been
completed.

Now my issue is this - I purchased what to me was an economical bundle of shares
trying to minimise the brokerage on the trade to a small % of the overall
purchase.
By only fulfilling half the order my brokerage percentage has effectively
doubled
to 2.8% of the purchase price which means I need to eefectively see a 5.6%
increase
in the price of the share just to break even. What if they had only been able to
fulfil 25 shares of my order - would I been up for full brokergae in this
instance
also?

I would have preferred not to get any shares than only half but I am told that
they
won't cancel the order. Their terms and conditions do not cover this event
alsthough
there is a suitably vague statement that allows them to fulfil or cancel orders
as
they see fit.

Has anyone else suffered a similar situation and sought resolution?

ms

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] Serious about Investing /Trading Michael Traill