Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] Fw: May the FORCE be with you all

From: Will Bryant <will@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 23:47:08 +1300

>Without wishing to be a pain Will, is it not technically possible
>for Sharechat (you or whoever) to actually remove postings
>as has been done in the past. And presumably to also prevent
Yes we do and have done - I removed the offensive ones as soon as I got in
the door earlier today.  (Of course there's nothing I can do about those
who receive the forum by email).

>emails/postings from certain nuisances from actually getting on
>once they've blotted their copybook?
Yes, we always do that as well (if they should later make a worthwhile
posts we will allow them through).

>I assume that Sharechat is not resource rich enough to have
>someone constantly monitoring and that therefore there are lags
>before something is done. But is it difficult for the something to
>cover removing the offending email (e.g. the one Faizal was
>complaining about) and the subsequent comments?
In the interests of not making the archives rather confusing, we prefer to
remove only the offensive material.

Removing the further comments gets messy, as people post replies to
messages which aren't in the archive and those replies will be shown until
we remove them, etc - in the end it gets very hard for someone visiting the
archive to work out what people are talking about; so instead we try to
censor as little as possible.

Please note that I think that it's often fairly clear to us all when
something is offensive, and I would say that often the best thing that
forum members can do is to delete & ignore it - should we need to we'll
remove it when we get the chance, so messages complaining about it really
just add to the noise.

As for removing things like this thread, which isn't offensive but is
definitely off-topic and inappropriate, well, that's just a judgement call,
but as I say we try not to censor any more than we have to.

Will Bryant, will@core-dev.co.nz                    cell +64 21 655 443
http://www.core-dev.co.nz/    Personal: http://www.core-dev.co.nz/will/
ShareChat Ltd. technical manager            http://www.sharechat.co.nz/
[PGP 0x96A7F40A, FP 827F A2A9 C718 106D 8F80  E16E A244 D5F2 96A7 F40A]