[sharechat] Letter from Londinium

From: RIL <ril99_99@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:08:13 +0000 (GMT)

We are currently seeing a second phase on this tech
slide at the moment.

The extraordinary earnings weakness in the Nasdaq
companies is becoming more obvious.

There is a betting pool up here on the collapse of
Amazon and when it will occur.

In your country the market continues to be a shocker
and really must be treated as just a hobbyist's
interest rather than a way of making money.

The People's Bank idea is, I think, misplaced. If you
want to stop foreign banks ripping off the locals why
not just pass a law banning fees and leave customers
to seek interest bearing deposits in non-bank
institutions.

The THL and MON fiascos got some air time here with
the insto's. But, as hardly any of them consider NZ
investment anymore it wasn't a biggie.

Of concern must be the currency. I received a number
of emails from chatters as to a good investment when
your dollar was around 38 - 40 and I recommended the
NZ dollar. However, have been surprised that it has
not kept going upwards but stalled at 45 and then
dropped.

There are a steady stream of young Kiwis arriving in
London and a friend reports the same in Japan. The
student debt seems to be a motivator and there seems
to be no intention to return. Am happy to say I have
helped a few get set up here and a buddy of mine is
doing the same in Tokyo.

I don't mean to over-press the point but it is
important for young Kiwis to realise the inevitable
and severe coming economic deterioration of NZ and
make the correct decisions.

Yes, you will live in poorer accommodation and more
cramped circumstances but please make the move in your
twenties when you can put up with the relative
discomfort to ensure your financial futures and those
of your children.

There are three big trading blocks; North America,
Europe and a part of Asia (Japan, Hong Kong etc.). It
will only become harder as time goes by for Kiwis to
get into the first two and the sooner you make the
move the safer you are.  You can always buy a
life-style block in NZ in your forties.

Well enough said. I hope I haven't been boring.

Au revoir mes amis

RIL