Re: Re: [sharechat] WORK. AT THE COAL FACE- Results (3) -P. Maiden

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 00:07:58 +1300

Peter,

There is some profit taking in LACO and CLH.
That is to be expected from time to time.

At the price of $3.50, the P/E of CLH could be about 32-33 and this ought to decline to a more respectable 24-25, next year.
Please note that it has 85 mill. shares with a present cap. of $A 300 mill!

Re. QBE, I have always compared this company with BCH: astute management and ability to expand in rough times!
However, insurance companies can throw out their probability projections as they are based on invalid data: The frequency and size of the disasters are now so much greater!

The strong competition coupled with the scale of disasters had damaged many insurance / reinsurance companies.
The sector was subsequently recapitalized by takeovers.

Now we have another bad year of claims coming up -Sydney is just one frequent target- and the companies will be increasing the premiums during the next few years!
I think that they may refuse to reinsure where the frequency of disasters is just too high.
I learned some of their jargon over the years, eg. 'short tail and long tail classes' is part of it!

Some American companies are very exposed to investments in Dot-com and tech. companies: refer to my note of Jan. 13. Another note of Jan 8 is also interesting!

Their final announcement will be on March 14 and we just have to wait till then!

Any comments?
Gerry
( Holds mentioned stocks )

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] nch Dave Hawthorne