Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2001

Re: [sharechat] Beat the Brokers competition update

From: "Mike Hudson" <mikehudson@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:34:56 +1300

We currently have 23 sharechatters vying for the grand prize versus 12 brokers; of course if by some fluke one of the brokers wins they will be disqualified on the grounds of professionalism (is that the right word?) and the laurels will go to the best chatter.

So far 51 different shares have been selected and FFS/FFSPA  picked 15 times and TEL  10 are the two favourites with FLB and FRU each with 5 being  distant joint thirds.

There are a few big names including our fearless leader who haven’t put in an entry yet, perhaps waiting for the last minute. Don't worry; so as not to penalise those who put theirs in early  changes in portfolios can be made at any time up to the close of entries.

 The prize is to be delivered to anywhere in NZ but in Ril in your case I will make an exception, if you enter and win I will deliver the prize personally to you in London as long as I can have a couple of glasses.

A reminder that entries must be in before the market opens on Monday

For latecomers here are the rules again

Beat the Brokers Competition.

Seeing those brokers picks for 2001 made me think that a stock picking competition might add a little interest and light relief among chatters. All you have to do is to select the five New Zealand shares that you think will perform the best in 2001 (capital growth and dividends)

The prize will be a bottle of one of Nelson’s finest wines: (red or white, winner’s choice) delivered anywhere in New Zealand.

Rules

  1. Each competitor has a notional $50,000 to invest
  2. The stake is to be spread equally among 5 shares listed on the NYSE.
  3. NCM listings can be included but unlisted securities options, warrants and other derivatives are excluded.
  4. Contestants can have only one of the FFS and AIR shares
  5. The winner is the contestant whose portfolio has the greatest value at the close of the market on 31st December 2001
  6. Dividends will be assumed to be reinvested brokerage free.
  7. In the event of a company being delisted (take over, liquidation, non compliance etc) the value at the date of delisting will spread equally among the remaining shares.
  8. I will keep the records and publish the standings monthly.
  9. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into unless it is in the form of a bribe.

The opening prices will be those at the close on Friday 12th January, therefore all entries to be in by 9.30am on that date.

To save cluttering up the board, email your entries to me at mikehudson@clear.net.nz I will post the full list after 15th January.

Good luck

Mike H

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Daily ShareChat News Summary Ben Dutton