Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2001

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] NUF to come right

From: "Richard Hooper" <hoop@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:24:10 +1300

Hi
A couple of years back had a friend who was totally against sprays(they are
entitled to their opinion -no problem with that).We went to visit their
large house & section ,which they prided on being the nature bush look in
the middle of a urban area. My toddlers were playing with their toddlers in
amongst this NZ bush environment when I suddenly called my kids back when
they stated to suck on the vegetation.I said "come inside, too dangerous to
play outside.'' Well that sure started a debate in a big way.(never got
invited back).
I noticed several plants which were highly posionuous and can
kill...Foxglove..Tutu(native) caper surge, Jerusalem cherry + the old garden
favourite Rhododendron.
Sprays keep these weeds in check . On the farm some of these weeds livestock
do eat ..Lost sheep to eating Rhododendron cuttings ...no-one complained
(except me)
about that ...but.....imagine the flack if the same sheep died due to a
spray compound..
I have no problem with think green people ,but they have to be responsible
of not letting these poisonuous plants and their associated environments get
out of control...just as we people who use manmade controls have to be
responsible to what we do.
eNUF said by me
Hoop