Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: [sharechat] Smart money

From: "Jeremy" <jeremy@electrosilk.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:31:03 +0800

> I'm not sure how you would do technical analysis on an idea or very small
> company while it is developing but always helps if you can share the
> 'vision' that the company founder.  How many people would have thought
> Bill Gates and Microsoft would have done as well as it has?

BillG had a lot of family money.  He bought an existing software company
that was already successful and he had the right contacts to talk with IBM
to write DOS. His only rival couldn't be bothered to do a good pitch to IBM
(the rival system was technically a lot better and IBM wanted to use them -
MS was a long second in choice)

Nothing about spotting good ideas, just having enough money to start with
and pushing ahead in a commercial manner.

Actually, the only thing BillG did that was original was to get his IBM
contract to allow him to sell MSDOS as a separate product not bundled to the
IBM hardware.

jeremy