Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

[sharechat] ITC - Armstrong Jones

From: "Peter Maiden" <pmaiden@today.com.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:37:01 +1200

Derek - This is big sell down by Armstrong Jones but IMHO I feel it is more an
exercise in reallocating their portfolios so the weightings are closer to what
other funds are doing.

I don't think that their view on ITC would have changed too much. I would think
that they fundamentally still think ITC has great potential.

However AJ needs to perform in line with their internal benchmarks (what
indices they use I have no idea) and by being 'active fund managers' outperform
other funds.

All funds have a portfolio that mirrors their index benchmark. Say in the case
of a NZ sharemarket fund all would have 20-30% of TEL in them.

Getting out of sync with their index and other funds exposes them to being
either big winners (or losers) compared to those other funds. I always find it
ironic when they tell their customers that a 5% negative return is better than
a 10% negative return. I have yet to find a fund manager who says they will
manage funds with the specific purpose of making a x% return - irrespective of
whether competitor funds are + or - that.

Back to ITC and AJ - I think they realised that they were out of sync with
other funds. Sell ITC and rebalnace their exposures to either being a lot
better (or a lot worse) than other funds - not because they have lost
confidence in ITC. Probably doing the same with any other tech related stocks
they have in their portfolios.

Peter

Disc - have some ITC from esrly days in the bottom draw to cash in when their
investments do. Know little about Armstrong Jones but active/passive managed
fund managers are generally conservative. Isn't that why we do our own trading
and investing?.

--- Move to a better address ---
       + today freemail +
    http://www.today.com.au

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Interesting Article on P/E ratios etc Ben Dutton