Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

RE: [sharechat] A1-A2

From: "Dawber, John" <J.F.Dawber@massey.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:55:54 +1200

Hi Geoff

It is likely that the A1 protein can be removed from the milk by various separation methods, for example 'ion exchange columns' which are used to separate out whey protein isolate (used in body building drinks at a cost $600/ 25kg bag of powder).  But this would be ridiculously expensive considering the current price of milk and milk powder.

The alternative method is to phase out the A1 milk protein cows and increase your % of A2 cows. Although the technology is Patented, I don't see what stops other companies finding alternative screening techniques.

I would say your A1 cows won't be useless just yet as it will take a while for the non-A1 milk to flood the market.  Probably one or two generations of cows.  And even then, there will still be markets for the milk. I.e. milk powder could be sent to developing countries.

John Dawber