Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

re: re: [sharechat] is a paper loss a real loss

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:31:03 +0000

> Snoopy wrote
>
> "But if you are an investor you are raking in the dividends while
> you wait. I would hardly call holding something like RBD and getting
> paid 12% just to sit on your own money a 'losing' position."
>
>It's a losing position if you paid $2.20 for the shares in which
>case you are only making 6% or so on your original investment - less
>than you can get in the bank. If you assess the return at 12% either
>you bought at the current level OR you have written off the $1 or so
>the share price has fallen since the float. You can't have it both
>ways.

Yes you can have it both ways.  I bought some RBD at 80c a couple of
years back.   By your logic Mike I would be making 20% or so on those
shares now just in dividends.   I'm not though.   I am making 12%
like everyone other RBD shareholder.  That is why when you look in
the paper they are able to publish a *single* yield figure.  The
price you bought the shares at is irrelevant.

>Anyway how many of us count our profits before they are realised,

I do.

>so what's the difference with losses?

None

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Realised/Unrealised Losses tennyson@caverock.net.nz