Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] directional movement

From: Phil Eriksen <phil@acepay.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 21:11:47 +1200

Brian Gale wrote:

> At 19:11 04-09-00 +0000, you wrote:
>
> > Yes, but if you continue to hold the share, the loss is *also* real.
> >

> Sorry Snoopy I don't follow your logic.  The loss only becomes a real
> monetary loss when you sell.

Disagree.  If you have $25,000 in a shoebox and somebody steals $2000,
you have $23,000.  If you have $25,000 in TEL shares and they go down
$2000, you also have $23,000.  One amount is in shares and the other in
a shoebox - it doesn't make either amount any less real.  You could swap
the shoebox money for more shares, or the shares for more shoebox money
- in each case you'd get $23,000.

Sure, the $2000 share loss may not seem "real" because the shares could
go up again, but the stolen $2000 could also be recovered from the
thief  - would this possibility stop you feeling robbed?

Cheers,
Phil