Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

[sharechat] Ethical Investments

From: Chris <cd@ak.planet.gen.nz>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:05:24 +1200

Damian and Seb,

Great to hear there are people about who apply ethics to their investment
decisions.

I once had Fernz shares(now Nufarm) before realizing I was supporting the
destruction of our environment by effectively loaning  this company cash
to manufacture the herbicide Roundup.  Their cosy relationship with
Monsanto, the world leader in GE, was the spur to dispose of my holding.
In fact I took a financial loss but measured it against an intangible
gain.

Another I have shied away from was SKC when my broker said buy @ $6.  He
indicated an increasing number of his clients considered their
investments ethically and for some he was required to qualify
recommendations always on that basis.  Interesting to see Monsanto's
share price labouring under the weight of world backlash against GE.  I
think we will see shareprice pressure on companies that do not shape up.

Yeah I can hear some reading this like it's drivel but so too was the
world once flat.

Regards
Chris