Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

Re: [sharechat] Rumors AVT (ASX)

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:44:24 +1200

Hi Ms. McLellan

Sorry still don't know your first name..you didn't sign your email message.
The 'Sixpack' wouldn't have mattered if you had put your name at the end of
your message.
I  apologize  if you have been put to trouble setting up another internet
access but at least you are on a free one now !  You are smarter than me in
picking up that info on AVT. The Herald site is a good one to use.

Getting back to your original message in which said you had been doing
quite well on paper and now wanted to try for real. It really depends on
what you are trying to achieve, with $2k to outlay you are rather
limited.  However I will give you my ideas and hope other Chatters will
contribute with theirs.

1.  As you are just starting out I would stick to NZ shares as you will pay
less in brokerage, won't have the complication of foreign exchange and will
probably be able to keep a closer watch on current affairs, company news
etc.  AVT  is speculative and whilst it looks interesting I don't think it
would be a good starter. The price has been dancing since the announcement
and will probably drop back in the short term.

2. With your available capital I think 2 shares is maximum, remember you
have to pay brokerage on each share you buy, so each purchase whittles down
your funds.  I would put half  in a "safe " Company and I pick
PFI  (Property for Industry) This Coy hasn't shown any great capital gains
in the last 6 mths but neither has it lost ground when others have been
falling.  They pay dividends every 3 mths which will give you income. For
your other pick, if you want a little excitement, you can choose from RMG,
FFS or maybe FRU ( which has had plenty of attention in Sharechat recently
) If you have been studying the form, as no doubt you have,  you will know
that these shares are in the speculative category which means you could
gain or lose. I wouldn't pick BRY, which you had on your list, it's a bit
too iffy.

3. Of course if you want to live dangerously you can change PFI  to another
spec. stock.

Those are my ideas.  As I have said I hope you will get others before you
finally take your plunge.

Best wishes
Brian