Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

[sharechat] More on trading

From: "ritchie marr" <ritchie_marr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 07:21:05 PDT

Morning all,
Derek, Brian is correct; you simply put in a full set of accounts as a
trader when you do your tax return.
I do have long term stock investments/ value investing which I keep
completely separate from my trading portfolio. The first way to do this is
to have two completely separate accounts with your broker; one is a trading
account as is duly named so. The other is a personal investment account,
which is under your own name or perhaps called a retirement account. You
cannot claim any of the expenses including brokerage from the investment
account. Like wise you can not claim any of the loses either.
If you choose to trade and then stop, your investing must be reflective of
your new direction, ie turnover of shares would need to be fairly sparse for
a while so as to not attract attention to the perception you are still
trading.

The key to it all is keeping good records.

Another option is to set up a trading company...your very own gpg. This then
becomes a stand alone identity through which you can trade as often as you
like and make as much profit as you can. Depending on your circumstances you
can then put yourself on the pay roll, or your wife/husband thus to some
degree altering the tax implications of the company in your favour, and pay
the excess out as a dividend. Gives you a great opportunity to learn how a
business runs.
Naturally doing this frees you the individual up to be an investor, who pays
no tax on capital gains of personal investing....provided your trading
frequency is not so high that again it draws attention to you.

I actually have a "shell" company, which owns a slab of forestry up north,
and have started trading within this on a small scale with the purpose of
covering the costs involved in the asset.

Well I am off to watch some of my students play in the North Island
Badminton Championships in Palmerston.  One of them has a lap top so I shall
endeavour to keep myself updated over the week.

Good luck/skill everyone for the up and coming week.

Ritchie