Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

[sharechat] the AQL stories; do your own dundamental analysis and don't follow 'names'

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 15:38:02 +1200

yes, at one time or another I have followed 'names' like Brierley into BIL
instead of doing fundamental value analysis on product, market, growth,
p/e ratio and gross yield and they've been disastrous whereas my value
analysis decisions have been highly profitable.
Any name is capable of massive bloomers George Soros, Eric Watson & &.
I'm afraid I've always been very sceptical of the Eric Watson ooh, ah,
swoon
approach and now I see (today's Sunday Star) that RMG is not (yet?) a
howling
success vis a vis Advantage/Telstra and when you start looking into the
history....

But play the ball not the man; my point is a reiteration of value investing
for
the future and leave the name chasing out. Ok, you occasionally miss a
brilliant listing but I hate to follow 'brilliant listings' with my eyes
shut.
Most listings fall back after the initial rush and if one has managed to
obtain
some solid data and ratios then you may be in a position to strike.

I note Hallensteins and Cavalier are showing good gross yields and both
seem to
have solid stories to sell....

And I note Frank Pearson in todays Sunday Star is still talking about over
valued
overseas equities while the under valued NZ equities.....seem to pass him
by...

cheers,
Hugh

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] MetLife - opinions needed hugh webber