Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

[sharechat] Trading tip for unlucky punters

From: "ritchie marr" <ritchie_marr@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:43:13 PDT

I have an accountant who tells me everything I need to know....if I ask the
right questions.

And it is all my fault.

But here is a lesson for anyone who feels like learning from someone else's
"school of hard knocks class time".

I decided about a year and a half ago, that I would have a go at changing
from paper to real trades. I had been successfully investing in value stocks
for about 7 years prior, and felt that I was competent at my "practise"
trades, and so I began.
At first, I was an ace. Even my broker, who openly disagreed with nearly
every decision I made, would often comment at my need to be Bottled, or
touched for good luck. I couldn't do a  thing wrong.

So then I would add in the profit made, and the deals would get bigger.
$10,000 began to feel the same as $1000. $20,000 trades began to be routine
and anything less than $10000 was becoming ineffectual.

Then I ventured into options, small at first. But small was now $5000.
I lost it all. Traded FEG options for 6 weeks, and managed to turn that $5g
into $400. I shrugged it off. I then began playing AQLOA and made it back in
one week.

But I was playing with bigger and bigger slices of my only pie.
Parents, friends, family all wanted a piece of the action, on a loan/ profit
share basis of course. Hindsight shows up my over-confidence like the car
headlight shows up the opossumon the road in front of the wheel.
Darn, too late! Now my one pie is three empty pie trays.
Yes I did diversify, etc, but as good stocks matured, I sunk more into AQL
believing it to be a sure thing, short term easy percentage gain; and in
another universe another time it probably would have made me a millionaire.

Anyway, getting to the interesting part.....

If you are a registered trader, then losses are tax deductible against
future gains, or other taxable income.

Or so I understood.

So here I was quietly feeling a little better that the disastrous loses on
AQL ( in excess of $100,000) could be written off and become tax credits
against my current and future earnings.

Well, didn't I have a really bad day when my accountant rings up and says
that my tax bill will be significantly higher this year as a result of all
the trading profits I had made.

?????????????????????????????( then lots of swear words!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Due to the fact that I hadn't sold my AQL shares on the 31st of March, none
of the losses could be realised in this financial year. Absolutely common
sense to everyone who already knows!

Bottom line : If you are carrying any losses as at the 31st of March of any
year on any stock you are trading, SELL IT! Even if you want to keep it. Buy
it back one day later, and you can use the tax losses against any profits
made. If you have profitable stocks as at the 31st of March and are ready to
sell DON'T! Sell on the 1st of April, and the profits won't be realised
until July 7th, the following year. This will give you plenty of time to use
that profit over and over again to more than cover the cost of the tax by
that time.

Note also that all manner of things that you are probably buying anyway, are
also tax deductible.....a portion of your electricity, 50% of your main
phone, and 100% of any second line. All computer consumables, stationery, a
percentage of your cars total expenses,if you keep a log book for 3 months.
And what about that luncheon ( 50% deductible ) to discuss finance with a
friend who is interested in possibly investing through you at a percentage
share of course.

And the list goes on and on.

Having said all that, I am still inspired by this quote by someone..."Oh to
be able to write a $1,000,000.00 tax cheque to the IRD.

Ritchie