[sharechat] VirtSpectator

From: "Oliver Shapleski" <oliver.shapleski@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:17:38 +1200

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  NZers simply do not understand Amercian culture, particularly those who say they see no worth in VS being applied to a whole lot of sports.

FACT 1: Americans LOVE sports.  Any sports.  Doesn't matter if it's NBA or pig throwing, they love sports.
FACT 2: Americans LOVE one thing more than sports at present.  Statistics about sports.  They crave them.  ANY statistics.  They will absorb stats like there'll be no more tomorrow, and that attracts mega advertising dollars to provide the stats.  Consumers don't pay, but advertisers do.

PROPOSITION 1: Americans will love VS more than statistics.

VS is simply another way of looking at a game, just like stats.  Except VS is better for advertisers because the advertising capabilities are so much greater.  Think about it - VS for NFL.  If this was possibile, it would be the most sought after product in the US.  Not only would Americans rush to use it, VS would allow advertisers to pay by the minute for continuous advertising.  Remember how they were programming in the sponsors logos on TNZ sails?  First leg - Telecom on the sails, second leg, HP on the sails.  NFL - first quarter the Broncos might have MSN on their helmets.  The second quarter they could have the A-G's office.... hehehehe.
As kiwis, we would rather watch something live and maybe talk about it a bit.  The computer graphics they have for changing the angles in rugby isn't quite taking off, because it's not for the 3.5m of us.

PROPOSITION 2: 3.5m Kiwis isn't the target market for VS.

Self-explanatory.  I for one would love that technology for Formula1, but I understand the kiwi culture enough to know that most wouldn't really care for it.  The ability to zoom in, out and around the circuit and get multi views LIVE rather than rely on the t.v. cameras to focus on what I wanted to see would enhance my viewing experience.  Same with golf - you only see one shot at a time and commonly miss out on the best shots of the players you're following just because we're watching Tiger walking up the 4th fairway.  Sod that.

PROPOSITION 3: VS technology can get a dominant foothold in the market.

This is the only proposition I would argue with.  It's not the one attracting discussion tho.

Oliver