Re: [sharechat] Trade Deficit - What a shocker

From: Richard Scott <richard@tkf.att.ne.jp>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:41:39 +0900

RIL

I personally think McEwen is wide of the mark with his comments about
Japan. He doesn't know enough about what else is going on over here. He's
no fund manager with a team of soldiers who go out and interview CEOs and
CFOs about what their comapnies are up to. The market is similar to the US
in that it's rather split. There is the old guard slowing dying an
ignominious death, while the more agile and responsive companies are
finding much investor support, both from within Japan and from overseas
investors.  The amount of maturing funds in post office savings accounts
into a zero interest rate environment will be quite extraordinary in the
next three years (100 trillion yen). Not all to be sure, but certainly some
of this money will find it's way into mutual funds or direct stock
investments, the prior of which are starting to find a lot of support
amongst ordinary Japanese households. Nomura, Daiwa and others marketing
these investment products fairly successfully now.

David McEwen has focused on the enormous debt that the Japanese Government
has run up in an attempt to stimulate the economy. This strategy has had
some success, but the country is a dozing giant at the moment. The
constraints on it's ability to grow into the future have, however, been
somewhat overstated I feel, and that once capital and productive asset
investment starts to pick up more there will some very large "winners" in
the new economy that has been emerging over the last 3 or 4 years.

Unlike a rather insignificant New Zealand, the local market is huge, and
while domestic demand is very weak, it's potential to increase due to very
high savings rates is extraordinary. It makes high value products that the
world consumes and continues to spend respectable amounts on R&D compared
to the US, Britain, France and Germany.

I really feel that without fear of contradiction from you at any rate, that
his comments of "Invest in Japan at your peril." would be more aptly
applied to New Zealand.

Richard
Tokyo Japan.

PS: I think you'll find "ruble" is spelt "rouble".  Never mind, it'll
become so worthless that no-one will care how it's spelt. Ask the Russians.